Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

the new prospector... a woman?


We haven’t talked about female prospectors much, and being the weekend before Mother’s Day I thought it a good time to discuss an email from Pat about the subject:

The reason I ask about female prospectors is that I do get a rather amused look by people when they find out I like to pan. Some though, don't think it odd, but I have yet to meet another woman other than yourself who actually does any panning/prospecting. I have had a few who wanted me to bring them along, but I doubt they would want to get wet or muddy, or dirty their hands.

Men seem less surprised then women friends I know.

I had done a little looking into how many female miners were out there, and apparently there are not that many now or historically.

I ran across several references that mentioned women were considered bad luck around mines until the 1970's, but also that occasionally women often worked beside their husbands on placer mines but it was considered a bit odd.

I did not find reference to any women miners in South Dakota except for Sarah Campbell "Aunt Sallie", who you are probably familiar with since she lived up in your neck of the woods.

Pat attached this quote: :"During Custer's Black Hills Expedition, she (Aunt Sally) and 20 other Bismarck residents formed the Custer Park Mining Company and staked placer claims on French Creek, now part of Custer State Park. When the Black Hills Gold Rush began in 1876, Campbell joined the second outfit from Bismarck to head for the region. She lived in Crook City and Galena, both mining towns on the western border of modern-day South Dakota, and continued to work as cook and midwife while she prospected. She searched for both gold and silver and filed five claims, although the Alice Lode silver mine in the Black Hills was the only one that proved valuable. Fifteen months before her death, she sold it for $500.."

I also found some interesting stories about woman miners in Alaska, California and Nevada and Oregon who defied cultural limitations to mine for gold. So it looks like we are a rare breed! TTYL--Pat

A rare breed indeed! My (Teresa) experience is just as Pat explains it… a lot of enthusiasm until it’s time to get dirty!

Pat has two sons who help her out. Bob and I have raised our first generation of three girls and one boy prospecting along side us. Ironically, two of those girls still show a lot of interest in prospecting. Our grandkids, three in residence, are two boys and one girl. One boy and one girl have a real interest… one would rather climb rocks!

Another email friend, Joel, has told me repeatedly that his daughter really loves prospecting!

So I think the future of prospecting includes at least four more women, not to mention several email inquirites I have addressed from female prospectors!




4 comments:

  1. Hello:
    I'm a female mineral collector from California. The subject of prospecting greatly interests me. I would love to be able to just go out off the beaten path exploring the geology in the hopes I find something interesting, but I don't, because I have no one to go with, and being a woman, I don't feel safe going out into isolated areas alone. I'm not really sure anyone should really, because we do have bears, and mountain lions, and rattle snakes around here, but being a woman, I also have to worry about opportunistic sexual predators. Another issue is, it's difficult for women to find mentorship in this field. I would love to know how to get into the specimen mining industry but any time mines come up, well meaning people just tell me to avoid them because they are dangerous. Honestly I have reservations about going underground in California either way, and have no intentions of entering a mine, but what I would really like is some constructive advice on how to prospect and mine safely, rather than be told to just avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sincerely wish you lived closer to the Black Hills. I know we would have a great time checking out minerals found here! I do encourage you to email me (Teresa) at hillshistory1876@gmail.com and we can "talk" prospecting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey We found You! Had fun at the museum this weekend. Hope To see You again in July. would like You To check out that rock John told You about. Have To go To a reunion July 10 So We should be up the 9th or 11th. Thanks For talking with us. John And Hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you Hope and John!

    ReplyDelete